I’ve only been micro-blogging for about a month now, and already, it’s gotten complicated.
- I have five views of the micro-blogging world: identi.ca (web), Twitter (web), Gwibber (client), Twidroid (client), Facebook (web)
- I use two different micro-blogging services, identi.ca (which the free software community seems to prefer) and Twitter (which everyone else seems to prefer). Many people seem to be on both. Some of them relay their updates from one or the other to Facebook, some don’t.
- Most of the time, I watch identi.ca, but I occasionally need to check the other places or I miss something.
- identi.ca can relay my updates to Twitter and Facebook, but @replies don’t come back. People on Twitter can hear me, but I don’t often hear them until much later (when I check Twitter)
- Twidroid can send and receive both identi.ca and Twitter messages, but can only connect to one of them at a time (dashed lines).
- Gwibber talks to everything every way, but crashes a lot
- identi.ca uses #hashtags and !groups, and I never know which is right. Twitter uses #hashtags. In both cases, there’s no feedback about whether you’ve correctly guessed a hashtag which other people are using
I’m sure some of you, dear readers, have managed to bring this mess under control. How?
P.S. The diagram was originally an SVG, but WordPress doesn’t seem to support them. Shame…