A farewell to Facebook
Actually, on second thought, this isn’t a farewell. There is no goodwill on either side of this bitter parting. Facebook doesn’t care about my privacy or consent, and I don’t care about their shady and anti-competitive profiteering. It’s over between us.
So, here’s what I did:
- made a list of all of my connections on Facebook (via copy and paste from a browser window)
- confirmed that I have alternate contact information for all of them, either by email or other social media
- deleted all of my photo albums
- deleted all of the information from all sections of my profile
- removed all applications
- deleted everything under “My Links”
- deleted all of my notes (this was tedious, as my blog was syndicated there)
- followed the WikiHow instructions to delete my account
Obviously, I can’t really control whether they hold onto my data in spite of this. This should provide a clear statement of intent on my part, though, if it comes up in future shenanigans.
Subscribe to comments with RSS.